Shelter in the Scilly Isles from Easterly

A place for "Southerly Spots"
jimseng
Boat Name: Sea Sharp
Southerly Model: S110 No. 09

Shelter in the Scilly Isles from Easterly

Post by jimseng »

Hi all
We are planning in going to the Scilly Isles next week and I see there is a strong easterly forecast for Thursday. Any thoughts on a good shelter spot since we are likely to be at anchor. Are there any moorings at New Grimsby? I want to have a plan in case things worsen.

Matt
PTB
Boat Name: Cimba
Southerly Model: S110/88

Re: Shelter in the Scilly Isles from Easterly

Post by PTB »

Hi Matt, lots of spots in an easterly. Visitors moorings in New Grimsby and still room to anchor afloat partic on a neap in a Southerly. ( Drying out in Green Bay not so good if it goes SE strong ). St Marys is clearly sheltered but all congested but safe Visitor moorings. Try St Helens Pool in the lee of Tean .. great spot. Also Tean Sound pretty sheltered but tide runs fast and there is a great anchorage in the bay at the NE end of Tean sound .. cant remember the name of it. My favourite is the bay on the SE of Tean ... dry out or lie afloat on a neap .. perfect but dont tell anyone about it not on our forum. Our boats are just the best for the Scillies .. enjoy. Phil
jimseng
Boat Name: Sea Sharp
Southerly Model: S110 No. 09

Re: Shelter in the Scilly Isles from Easterly

Post by jimseng »

Thanks Phil.
Looks like the weather is moderating a bit. I thought it wasn't a good policy to test the anchor holding properties in the I.O.S. Better to do it somewhere less spiky and hard.
I might stay in St.Agnes cove. That was our favourite spot last year. We bypassed Tean....might give that a go. (Shhhhhh)

Matt