Thinking of a Mud Berth

richardbolt
Boat Name: Aquavit
Southerly Model: S95

Thinking of a Mud Berth

Post by richardbolt »

I am not sure if this is the right forum! I have owned my S95 for 6 years and have always kept her on a full-tide floating pontoon. I have learned from experience that she sits most comfortably with the keel fully down. If it is fully up, she rolls around like mad on windy days.
However, I have now moved home and am contemplating moving mooring to a mud berth at Thornham Marina. Does anyone have experience of permanent, alongside tidal berths? Does the keel box get clogged up? Does sand aggravate the keel hinge? Should one leave the keel fully up and suffer rolling at high water and high wind? Or should it be down to stick in the mud .... or is this risky? Should I avoid the idea of a tidal berth altogether? Lots of other questions come to mind and I would welcome anyone's thoughts or experience. Regards, Richard
RichardBolt
GeorgeLlewellin
Boat Name: Alouette

Re: Thinking of a Mud Berth

Post by GeorgeLlewellin »

Hello Richard,
I would very strongly suggest that you keep the keel up and resting on the pin while on a mud berth.
richardbolt wrote:I have learned from experience that she sits most comfortably with the keel fully down. If it is fully up, she rolls around like mad on windy days.
My son keeps a Beneteau lifting keel boat at Fareham on a similar pontoon mud berth to those at Thornham Marina. I have some experience of Southerlies (not mine) kept on drying moorings, sand rather than mud. I would suggest that Thornham is probably very sheltered, at the top of the river with little current and virtually no fetch to build up waves and the water will therefore usually be still and it would be unlikely for your S95 to “roll around like mad”.
richardbolt wrote:Should I avoid the idea of a tidal berth altogether?
I think using a tidal berth it is one of the advantages of the Southerly range, and in places like Fareham and Emsworth you can do this and have the advantage of walk aboard at any time while paying more reasonable rates.

You will probably find that after your boat has been there for a few weeks she will change the shape of the berth to the shape of the S95.
richardbolt wrote:Does sand aggravate the keel hinge?
Generally this is not a problem, especially where it is mainly mud.
richardbolt wrote:Does the keel box get clogged up?
Some lifting keel boats do have this problem, but I have no knowledge of it happening to a Southerly. Maybe other owners who have mud berths will comment on your OP.

Good sailing, George
Can someone please catch my dog ! I think he has already gone three times around the Pembrokeshire coastal path.
richardbolt
Boat Name: Aquavit
Southerly Model: S95

Re: Thinking of a Mud Berth

Post by richardbolt »

Hello George,
Many thanks for your reply, which was very helpful (as usual!). I hope to get down to Thornham later this month to have a good look.
Regards,
Richard
RichardBolt