Does anybody have any advice for the Milford Haven area?

A place for "Southerly Spots"
Mad Mutt
Boat Name: Blue Roan
Southerly Model: 110

Does anybody have any advice for the Milford Haven area?

Post by Mad Mutt »

We are intending to sail from Cornwall to the Milford Haven area. Does anybody have any advice about where to stay or indeed to not stay. We prefer quiet anchorages in the middle of nowhere if possible, but we will also have to leave the boat for a while. I see there are two marinas does anybody have any experience of them?

Thanks

Nigel and Jill
ncampling
Boat Name: Dutch Courage of Cowes.
Southerly Model: S115, Mark IV, 2004

Re: Does anybody have any advice for the Milford Haven area?

Post by ncampling »

Nigel & Jill

I have no real experience of that area, but maybe a Facebook post on the SOA may be worth a response ?

I did pick my second Southerly up from Lawrenny Marina in 2003 and having just checked the website, it looks a very pleasent spot.

http://www.lawrennyyachtstation.co.uk/

I am not sure if you are a Member of the Cruising Association, but their App, Captains Mate is really good at giving you the latest information (reports) on any area that you sail too. If you email me, we have a code that is worth a discount for the first year's membership.
Nigel Campling
Chairman, SOA
PTB
Boat Name: Cimba
Southerly Model: S110/88

Post by PTB »

We sailed in that area a lot back in the day but much has changed and we were deep keel then. I think George Llewellin of this parish sails there .. worth a message if he doesnt pick this up? Maybe see from members list who else is Milford or Bristol Channel based?.
I remember it as a great cruising area and always wished we had shallow draft to fully explore! Phil
GeorgeLlewellin
Boat Name: Alouette

Post by GeorgeLlewellin »

Hello Nigel and Jill,

We live at Sandy Haven a wildlife heaven which is a small drying pill on the north side of the main Milford Haven estuary, just north of Stack Rock Fort.

There is a small foot bridge that covers at about half tide, we overlook this from the west. There are a number of moorings in the creek (all drying), if there is a mooring available at the appropriate time, you may be able to use it by arrangement with our Moorings Officer, or you could dry out above the bridge. This area is mainly sand, but there are some stony parts.

There are a number of other safe moorings in the 20 mile Milford Haven area, but because of the strong tides I would recommend you use a marina if the boat is to be left for any length of time. You have mentioned two marinas, Nigel has also mentioned Lawrenny Yacht Station (not really a marina) a lovely quiet place out in the sticks, but the tides are very strong there.

The two I presume you have already found are Milford Marina and Neyland Marina both have most facilities, see links below
https://www.milfordmarina.com
https://www.yachthavens.com/neyland-yacht-haven

You may have missed Llanion Marina which is probably the cheapest.
East Llanion Marine Ltd.
Warrior Way
Pembroke Dock
Pembrokeshire SA72 6UB
Tel: 01646 686 866
Fax: 01646 622 578

There was also a similar thread on the YBW forum, see here.
https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?thread ... en.217084/

N.B. Tides are strong in coastal waters around the peninsular and in the Milford Haven estuary.

You can email me direct if you wish, we might even meet you while you are here!

Good luck, George
Can someone please catch my dog ! I think he has already gone three times around the Pembrokeshire coastal path.
Mad Mutt

Post by Mad Mutt »

Thanks everybody, that's really helpful.

George, yes if we make it we will certainly send you an email

Kind regards

Nigel and Jill
GeorgeLlewellin
Boat Name: Alouette

Post by GeorgeLlewellin »

We look forward to meeting you, George & Patricia (Pat)
Can someone please catch my dog ! I think he has already gone three times around the Pembrokeshire coastal path.
Dutch01527
Boat Name: Sandiamo
Southerly Model: 100

Post by Dutch01527 »

We have have visited Milford Haven for a couple of days. Nice part of the world. A few observations.

Dale is a good anchorage with a non walk ashore pontoon. Very good pub and yacht club for evening refreshments. Can be busy.

Milford Haven Marina is functional. Good facilities, tidal via lock. The town is nothing memorable but would be a good place to leave the boat for a while. Good transport links.

Skomer Island is stunning. A good place for a quiet (except for the 1000’s of birds) anchorage. The Southern anchorage is easily accessible but follow the pilotage instructions very carefully if using the Eastern route to the North.Very rocky and tidal.

Lots of word class beach’s near to the Haven to anchor off or dry on. Suggest Barrafudle Bay - voted one of the worlds best 10 beaches I seem to recall. Chances are you would be the only ones there overnight even in the height of summer. If it or any one of a number of other beaches were on the South Coast they would be packed.
Mad Mutt

Post by Mad Mutt »

Thanks. That's another really helpful post. I worry that we might be psychotically antisocial as our Ideal anchorage is the sort of places you describe where we are the only boat there. And people seem to agree that Milford Haven Marina is a good place to leave the boat for a while.

Thanks again

Nigel and Jill
Mad Mutt

Post by Mad Mutt »

Hi George.

We made it! Email sent.

Kind regards

Nigel and Jill